Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Goletaville: The Soundtrack Vol. 2

Sex and Candy- Marcy Playground
Fade Into You- Mazzy Star
Brick- Ben Folds Five
Runaway Train- Soul Asylum
Wonderwall- Oasis
Fake Plastic Trees- Radiohead
Lump- Presidents of the United States of America
Been Caught- Stealing- Jane's Addiction
Self Esteem- The Offspring
Daughter- Pearl Jam
Bullet with Butterfly Wings- Smashing Pumpkins
Cannonball- The Breeders
Low- Cracker
Feel the Pain- Dinosaur jr.
Novocaine for the Soul- Eels
Sink to the Bottom- Fountains of Wayne
Bad as They Seem- Hayden
Supernova- Liz Phair
Sick of Myself- Matthew Sweet

I'll just start this off by apologizing for the advertisements at the start of some of the videos. I'm trying to find videos that aren't Vevo, but sometimes that's all youtube's got or it's the best quality video. However, I will say, I should be watching more of these videos for this project. Videos were so strange! At times I wonder just how much these images and lyrics influenced me. Sometimes I think they influenced me more than I realized. For instance, during this time in high school when I was taking pictures I felt I "saw" more (or pre-visualized more) in B&W, but now I am being more attracted to color for the first time. Seeing these videos and their usage of color I think maybe I was influenced by them. It only took another 16 years for it to surface. I'm thinking particularly of the Mazzy Star, "Fade Into you" video, "Sick of Myself," "Fake Plastic Trees," and there's a couple others. It's interesting to see how the '80's usage of gels and color effects started to become more sophisticated at this time.

Random memories here are: "Low"- Cracker, it seemed Mtv would play that video a lot of early mornings as I was getting ready for school, and now it's sort of surreal that the LA landscape depicted in the video isn't so foreign to me; "Daughter"- Pearl Jam, there was a guy on my bus, the "bus clown" if you will, who would sing that song but changed the chorus to "move over butter", it was pretty funny; when "Fake Plastic Trees" came out it was Radiohead's highly anticipated follow up to "Creep" and I remember it wasn't really received that well because it was so different from what they had done before, but I thought it was great, little did we know just how different and weird and great they would become; "Self-Esteem" was totally cashing in on the "low self esteem" vibe of the music at the time, it does capture it pretty well, but it's such a Nirvana rip-off even down to the "yeeeeaaaahhh" chorus; "Brick" (yes, some songs from 1997 snuck in, oops!) reminds me of my first stint in Lawrence when I first started college, some frat guy wearing khaki shorts, Birkenstock's and a backwards hat (one with the frayed bill) pulled up next to me in a jeep at a red light once blasting that song and it just kind of summed up the place for me at that time, in other words, kind of lame, but I kinda like that song...and I'm kinda lame. Or is that just the themes within the music influencing my self perception?! Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment