Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Parking Lot Dead Ends and The Image as Metaphor






There is a lot of talk in certain circles about the image as metaphor, but the story behind these images work as a kind of metaphor for life in itself. I was driving in my car headed home taking the usual way, but I decided to take a different route, so I turned left and found myself lost in one of those giant parking lots, you know the ones which 18 ginormous box stores share. Anyways, I eventually wound up at a dead end. I stopped, got out of the car, and started taking pictures of the tire tracks left behind in the snow. Then I climbed back in the car and finally made it back home a week later...or maybe an hour. There's a metaphor and a moral in that story somewhere, but I think the images do the trick best. Also, I found this helpful...if these images made sounds, they would probably sound like this.

1 comment:

  1. The artist, like the magician, takes the humdrum of daily life (or the ultimate symbol of the market's unceasing drive to devour nature), and with a few passes of a magic wand, turns parking lots into beauty. A spell is cast that speaks to us as lost vagabonds on the road of life.

    What?

    ReplyDelete