Thursday, April 7, 2011

Butterfly Preserve Project Day 7-The Final 12












At first I was going to post these in color, but I wasn't quite happy with them so I decided to wait and think about it some more. I finally decided that I would go ahead and post them in color and just chalk it up to an "it is what it is" thing and move on. Then as I was about to post I serendipitously happened across some photos of Robert Adams and I knew what I had to do. Namely, black and white, low contrast, concentrating on subtler gray tones as opposed to the more heavy handed usage of shadows, high contrast, and under exposure I've been into lately. Revolutionary! I'm much happier with the way these came out. In full disclosure I did take more than 12 images, but I didn't take nearly the 100+ shots I had been taking, not even close, and I edited on the spot with a more discerning eye leaving the preserve with closer to 12 images (I also did a 360 panorama that I'm still working on.) It was definitely a different experience limiting myself to fewer pictures. It was the difference between sitting on the beach listening to the waves at sunset and being on a construction site in the middle of the day. On the way home from the preserve I started my next project. Images soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment